Monday, December 31, 2012

BEST DISHES I'VE MADE FOR 2012

With those crazy rumors that the world will end this year plus idiots like that weirdo Giorgio Tsoukolos of the show "Alien Gods" on History Channel brainwashing us that we were visited by aliens in the past and that Dinosaurs were wiped out not by a meteor but by Alien Spacecrafts ( Ok...no connection with this post at all...I just had to mention Alien Gods because I find it unbelievably stupid) that did not stop me from experimenting and innovating on some dishes.  Here, I present a list of dishes I experimented on that in my opinion made some impact on those 365 days that just passed by.

BROWN RICE PAELLA VALENCIANA
- I've been making Paella for about ten years and it has definitely been one of my stronger dishes. This year, I thought of going the healthy route by using brown rice instead of Japanese rice. I was never fond of this cardboard tasting brown rice, but seriously, my brown rice Paella might have made me a convert.

"MASKI POPS" BBQ LIEMPO
- who would have thought that fast food sachets could be put into good use aside from it being used as condiments to high calorie fast food dishes.  Normally, these sachets would be thrown into the garbage can.  One Sunday afternoon, I found a bunch of different fast food sachets lying around and decided to use them as a marination to these pork spare ribs.  What came out was probably the best grilled pork spare ribs I've ever made !

GRILLED PUMPKIN SOUP
- I've made pumpkin soup numerous times.  This year, I decided to air dry the pumpkin skin and use it as a garnish.  I knew I did good on this experiment after my grade school classmate Kathrina Pompa sent me a message saying she tried my recipe including using the pumpkin skin as a garnish and that everyone in her family enjoyed it !

SISIG BURRITO
after watching The Great Food Truck Race numerous times, I knew I had to create a dish similar to those being prepared at the show. After throwing in a flew slices of tomatoes, onions, leftover sisig then wrapping it in a flour tortilla then drizzling it with sour cream, I knew I was in seventh heaven !

SALMON QUESADILLAS 
another dish inspired by Food Truckers, substituting smoked salmon instead of the usual chicken did this quesadilla some justice !

CORNED BEEF ADOBO
- never have I received so many comments and facebook "likes" on that day I posted this recipe on my facebook wall.  It's a simple dish really of canned Purefoods corned beef, soy sauce, sugar and vinegar, then simmered until the corned beef gets toasted in it's own fat.  This is the dish that definitely proves that "less is more"!

GOAN BEEF VINDALOO
I had the honor of obtaining this recipe from Sam, our Convergys Indian client trainer. Normally, this Indian stew calls for lamb, but using beef still worked well since the gamey taste of the beef still packed a punch with the myriad of spices used in preparing this dish.

KALBI (GRILLED KOREAN PORK RIBS)
- what is a year without trying a Korean dish.  With the influx of everything Korean, you can do yourself a favor by preparing a Korean dish once a month.  This happens to be my favorite since it's healthy (grilled pork ribs marinated in soy sauce, sugar and ginger) then sliced thinly.  This is normally eaten by wrapping the ribs in lettuce leaves then dipping it into an endless selection of highly pungent and aromatic sauces and condiments.  Plus, it gets better with the sugar glazed potatoes and scallion pancakes that goes with this.  I will never be a fan of Korean Telenovelas or that extremely annoying "Gangnam" song, but Korean food?-that's another story.

HONEY GLAZED SPAM W/ NASI GORENG
-another one of those "gourmet delata dinners" ! You see, one of the perks of not having a maid for almost a year ( yes!!! ...it's almost a year since we last had a maid)...is the chance for me to innovate and experiment on the limited resources found in my pantry.  Plus, if you are lazy to defrost frozen meat, you will see that opening canned meat ain't such a bad idea.  Much like my Corned Beef Adobo, my Honey Glazed Spam also received a lot of comments and feedback.  I guess people relate well with canned goods since it's affordable, easily accesible and easy to prepare.  Everyone loves spam as it is.  What more if you dredge spam slices in honey and sugar then frying it in butter then pairing this up with Indonesian fried rice and fried egg?

ADOBO SULIPENA WITH SINANGAG TOPPED W/ CHICHARON
- I distinctly remember preparing this dish on the first day of 2012.  It took a whole year for me to write about what could probably the best breakfast anyone could have. Inspired by the Adobo Sulipena served at Pancake House, what it is is adobo simmered in vinegar minus the soy sauce then shredded then toasted.  But I go a notch higher since I know for a fact that Pancake House does not serve theirs with crumbled chicharon.

MARINATED BANGUS
-nohing is final yet, but expect 2013 as the year that I might debut my Marinated Bangus business.  For the past four months, I've been experimenting on marinated bangus.  So far, I've come up with Terriyaki, Pandan, Kung Pao and Tex-Mex variations.  I'm in the process of making some final adjustments so stay tuned !


SALTED CARAMEL CHOCOLATE CAKE
- I just made this dessert twice, the family Christmas dinner being the most recent.  Because of the positive feedback and comments I've received, my Salted Caramel Chocolate Cake definitely deserves to be on this list.

BANNOWIXEE PIE
- the fact that my version of the humble Bannoffee pie got a glowing review by one of the most influential food bloggers in the Metro is enough reason why the Bannowixee Pie is definitely the best dish I've made for 2012 !

-anyone interested in getting the recipes of the dishes posted, kindly text me at 0178867695 and I'll e-mail it to you ( except for marinated bangus, bannowixee pie and salted caramel cake).

No comments:

Post a Comment